Fixed all my lag: edited its the AIO wires

Separate area for niche lag issues including unexpected causes and/or electromagnetic interference (ECC = retransmits = lag). Interference (EMI, EMF) of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction latencies like a bad modem connection. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI. Please read this before entering sub-forum.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT:
This subforum is for advanced users only. This separate area is for niche or unexpected lag issues such as electromagnetic interference (EMI, EMF, electrical, radiofrequency, etc). Interference of all kinds (wired, wireless, external, internal, environment, bad component) can cause error-correction (ECC) latencies like a bad modem connection, except internally in a circuit. ECC = retransmits = lag. Troubleshooting may require university degree. Your lag issue is likely not EMI.
🠚 You Must Read This First Before Submit Post or Submit Reply
MegaMelmek

Re: Fixed all my lag: edited its the AIO wires

Post by MegaMelmek » 31 May 2022, 02:44

Slender wrote:
30 May 2022, 23:38
nyxo100 wrote:
30 May 2022, 22:40
stop trolling bro
he is not trolling
All his tweeks was allready done tested by other members and including me they will help for short period of time let say 2h. But this dude has every day new tweek and he say he is fix it? I spend crazy money to fix it but no success.
So if he say he fix it by cable managment come on man? But maybe he need go this way.
My advice to him is this issue is not in PC 100% sure about that.

Slender

Post by Slender » 31 May 2022, 07:34

MegaMelmek wrote:
31 May 2022, 02:44
Slender wrote:
nyxo100 wrote:
stop trolling bro
he is not trolling
All his tweeks was allready done tested by other members and including me they will help for short period of time let say 2h. But this dude has every day new tweek and he say he is fix it? I spend crazy money to fix it but no success.
So if he say he fix it by cable managment come on man? But maybe he need go this way.
why are you so sure that the problem is not in the settings?

MegaMelmek

Post by MegaMelmek » 31 May 2022, 12:52

Slender wrote:
31 May 2022, 07:34
MegaMelmek wrote:
31 May 2022, 02:44
Slender wrote:
nyxo100 wrote:
stop trolling bro
he is not trolling
why are you so sure that the problem is not in the settings?
Lets say that majority gamers do not tweek windows at all. Less ppl mess with bios, overclocking, they dont even understand whats up in there but their PC works fine with basic setup like rates mouse sensitivity and display resolution…. And these ppl enjoy their games.
All that second part is in best intrest by HW and software developers… Make it easy for new even old customers that make sense right?
All these ppl are able compete on all levels without deep tweeking windows, care about cable managment and so on.
This dude what open this topic why he is thinking he have input lag? Compare to what? No one know but he think and belive its because bad cable managment.

I know when i take my PC to different house and keep it on for while (like 1h)it works without any input lag even if i bring him back to my appartment its able to work for like one day then the lag come back.
There has to be 0 difference if you use same PC on two different places right? But there is not and the only input is electric energy on same voltage but voltage is not only one properties of electric energy.

I bet you that most of the gamers dont know where SATA port is in their PC without schematic picture.

SVSQUVSH

Post by SVSQUVSH » 31 May 2022, 14:25

Medium to high end Power Cables (especially if you have a good PSU) are allready shielded. Its not like there is just metal wires behind plastik. Those cables have a layer of a meterial which protects outer parts from EMI. Im sorry for you, its most likely placebo.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Fixed all my lag

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2022, 10:57

dervu wrote:
28 May 2022, 15:56
Great to have such detailed topic! /s
a_c_r_e_a_l wrote:
28 May 2022, 17:53
Great! I wouldn't think it could be so easy.
Mr1991 wrote:
28 May 2022, 20:09
Did I ever tell you, the definition of insanity?
For me, I'm not laughing.

This is a serious/plausible matter:

Although some users annoyingly spend an inordinate time on trying to do so many actions that may or may not have fixed their problem, I can confirm that moving wires inside a case has actually solved a larger proportion of EMI problems -- especially high power wires from the ATX power supply can interfere with the signal of adjacent data wires.

From a 1000W power supply with several hundreds of watts through power wires that are zip tied adjacent to data wires -- a big no-no in modern case design now. Even adding millimeters, preferably 1-2 inch of separation, between them makes a huge difference.

Some systems have very good S/N envelopes that this does not matter, but frankly speaking, there's a lot of crappy components that falters to such EMI regimes.

Nontheless, this is categorized as a rare/EMI problem and this thread is now moved to the EMI forum where this belongs.

Be noted that just because 1 user did this, does not mean you solve your lag problems by doing it too. However, when doing a computer newbuild -- it is good computer builder hygeine nowadays to not zip-tie any >100-watt wires directly to data wires. Such as motherboard wires and GPU wires.

Even if there's only a 1% chance of a S/N ratio weak enough to create enough interference to start creating error correction latencies -- that's still 1 malfunctioning computer out of 100. Better safe than sorry if you're a new computer builder -- don't zip tie unshielded GPU wires to unshielded data wires. Take a few extra seconds to route the ultra high power wires at least one or two inches away from data wires & away from circuit board surfaces.

Someday I'd love to see someone do realtime EMI tests with an oscilloscope with an overclocked RTX 3080 Ti at full power, zip-tied close to a bunch of wires (USB wires, etc) and see if any minor error correction latencies start to appear, or even swing wires closer/further and watch the jitter appear/disappear from mouse diagnostics apps (while a concurrent 3D window is running at 100% GPU power, like 3DMark in a loop on a 2nd monitor -- for a more real world test case).

Although steady DC does not inject EMI (if you studied electrical engineering -- it's the change in power level -- aka AC or changes to DC -- that injects interference. It's the principle of how old transformers worked -- where a loop of copper inducts current into another loop of copper. Same principle here.).

Look, GPUs eat hundreds of watts of power. I've seen them inject mouse interference before. It is real.

It mainly only happens in extreme cases -- e.g. 500 watts of wildly gyrating GPU power ziptied directly parallel to internal USB header wire going to the USB port that the mouse is using. Basically the biggest baddest GPUs that is heavily overclocked, in a bad-cable-routing situation. Even a mere 2-3 millimeters of separation between the power + data wires can help prevent this -- push those S/N ratios down enough to keep the USB packets above the noisefloor -- and prevent error-correction latencies.

Ever-higher power wires for a 300-to-500 watts hogs of an overclocked RTX GPU (rock), meets the ever-higher bandwidth data wire running at tight noisefloor (hard place). The S/N margins are getting squeezed so much that these weirdnesses are happening more often than they did 5-10 years ago. It's best to back up with evidence, though. Load up with oscilloscopes and diagnostic software and create something reproducible simply by moving wires closer/further apart -- mouse jitter noise that magically appears/disappears (mouse USB jitter = mouse latency) from all those error-correction retransmitted USB packets.

The wildly gyrating power fluctuations of a GPU that can throttle from 60 watt to 400 watts to 100 watts to 200 watts -- the power surges creates an inducted current in a parallel data wire, causing a single packet drop of an 8000 Hz mouse, adding jitter, etc. If the surges happen rapidly enough, enough error correction occurs to start creating jitters/latencies . Those things actually happens, even if it's a rare/one-off case where the signal-to-noise ratios are poor enough that the EMI regime starts weaking havoc on latency. It won't happen to the average computer system, but it happens to some of them.

This is NOT the cult of EMI -- NVIDIA engineers have to do this sort of thing everyday.

Well intentioned users probably do an excessive amount of preventative hygiene, almost to a fault, and their systems much more EMI-clean then the average computer, starts misattributing things (e.g. netcode behaviors). There's such a thing as overdoing it, but it's still not a laughing matter.

There's a reason why good electricians try not to route Cat-6 Ethernet cable directly parallel next to power wires during in-wall installation; and try to at least keep them a few inches apart minimum.

It's true that person A genuine problem with EMI, will not usually help person B, because EMI issues are usually one-off problems affecting specific computer system specimens -- no two computers have perfectly identical wire routing.

TL;DR: Stop joking.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dervu

Post by dervu » 01 Jun 2022, 11:36

Also it is interesting if difference in power quality outside of PC would make any difference in error correction/latencies in PC with worst cable management setup + eventually worst EMI shielding on cables.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2022, 14:23

dervu wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 11:36
Also it is interesting if difference in power quality outside of PC would make any difference in error correction/latencies in PC with worst cable management setup + eventually worst EMI shielding on cables.
Unfortunately it's hard to prove this or otherwise, but it's quite possible -- one-off longshot type situations.

It's possible, but it almost feels harder to predict than quantum mechanics. You literally have to budget millions of possible EMI along the entire signal path of every single circuit wire (and every path on a chip, and every path inside a component, etc, etc, etc).

Think of this like a S/N budget -- any penny worth of EMI added to the mess can stack up to S/N noise floors weak enough to trigger error-correction storms that add latency. A slightly better cable routing (1 extra millimeter of separation between cables) versus a slightly worse ambient external EMI regime (e.g. 2% difference in strength), can turn this into a practical coin flip.

Importantly, one needs to understand Signal to Noise Ratio (S/N).

Sometimes it behaves like a piggy bank. The S/N margin piggy bank can improve/worsen in real time along the path. A superior power supply can add more to the S/N piggy bank and a worse external EMI can subtract from the S/N margin piggy back, and so on. Because the superior filtering pushes the N down (less noise). Other times it's a great amplifier (inflate S without inflating N). But remember there can be millions (billions) of different piggy banks. A different cable routing can add more to the S/N piggy bank for one part of the computer, but subtract from the S/N piggy bank for a different part of the computer.

Enough bad stuff goes on, you've emptied the S/N piggy bank and the problems finally begin unexpectedly. Also, sometimes certain S/N piggybanks are withdraw-only (never possible to deposit additional margin again) -- it depends on the type of the interference and how the S/N can improve/worsen through successive filtering stages.

But remember in S/N, the S and the N are two independent variables. If your S drops, you also have to drop N to keep your S/N ratio constant. S can be amplified with amplifier stages, but N can also amplify too. And in some stages, S can only decrease while N can never decrease. So if you understand S/N (Signal-to-Noise), every single component (of the billions of components, including every transistor on a silicon chip) have their own separate S/N behavior. That's why overclocking sometimes fails well before the overheating stage -- overclocking reduces S/N ratio of certain transistors and when just ONE transistor fails, the computer crashes. Perhaps it's because a too-fast-switched transistor didn't have enough current through its gate, and the signal flowing through that one transistor was a low S going through the N ratio, and the S/N fell below spec, and so on.

Whether it's a 2 mile long DSL connection, a 1000 mile fiber connection, or a 100 micrometer path on a silicon chip, all of them have S/N ratios. The S is fighting against N. You can overwhelm massive S to nearly non-existent N (e.g. push half a million volts along a power transmission cable). But for chips, your S is super-weak, fighting against N of interference. And there's billions of super-weak S. Only one dominoe needs to fall! Just one. You don't have billions of re-amplifiers on a silicon chip because there's just no room. We made chips so fast and operating so close to the noisefloor, that it's less immune to inference (that's why we don't send powerful GPUs to outer space, and still rely on many old IBM RAD 600 chips -- there's a lot of radiation interference in space outside atmosphere). But likewise, down on Planet Earth, we have enough various kinds of radiation sources to cause problems to computers -- if you're accidentally near enough them, even if it's just a simple defective fridge/dryer/microwave oven running in the next room behind the wall inches away from the radiation-transparent side of your glass computer. Things like that happen.

But even smaller EMI sources like computer monitor power bricks can be a problem when placed too close to a non-metal part of a computer, etc. Or even the 500-watt wire connecting between power supply and GPU -- that can inject some serious EMP to do a bit flip on a SSD chip if the 500 watt wire is routed touching an M.2 SSD, for example. So, pay attention to power wire routing to your GPU and motherboard, don't route those specific wires touching your electronics -- add at least a centimeter or preferably an inch of air gap. That can be all you need (inverse square law is your best friend!)

The big problem is there's practically uncountable number of different S/N ratios in a whole computer (every single circuit path and transistor on every single silicon chip -- not just circuit boards or external wires), and it takes only ONE weak link to start a dominoe effect sometimes. The well designed modern parts will error-correct without crashing (and only give you error-correction latency of various kinds, depending on whether it's a one-off error correction or a complete blizzard of error-correction).

You can focus on the brute hammers (e.g. biggest potential EMI sources), that's where you will win the most in your battles against EMI.

But you can do nothing about those adjacent silicon paths inside your chip, can't reroute everything, not possible. A low-S/N-margin chip (not highly overclockable) could perhaps be more sensitive to external EMI than high S/N-margin chips (e.g. chips that are highly robust, stable, and highly overclockable), so it's also an incentive to add some margins throughout -- hit the low lying apples like buying the right parts (good power supply, good power routing for high-wattage wires inside and outside of the computer, chips that don't crash when overclocked by 5% and then keep them un-overclocked, etc, etc) and you might reduce your odds of random EMI problems by only 50%-75% because you can't control the other billions of S/N ratios. But you can attack the low lying apples specific to your situation -- but be reasonable, don't overdo it.

It's easy to mis-focus on trying to improve an apartment's external EMI regime when simply redoing cable routing may sometimes fix the issue, but it is also easy to mis-focus on trying to fix cable routing, when an intense external EMI regime will overwhelm even the best cable routing. It's easy to roll the wasted-troubleshoot-time dice badly in a blind gamble of troubleshooting EMI without a lab full of equipment.

For almost a five-sigma of population, it is usually a waste of time to spend more than a few hours on EMI mitigation measures (i.e. attacking the low lying apples), the rest is usually just attacking those likelihoods far to the right of the decimal point. And EMI problems are like snowflakes -- because of the infinite (>billions, >trillions) of different S/N weak links inside a computer, inside a circuit board, inside every single one of those chips, etc -- the only hope is to hit the low lying apples and statistically lower our likelihood of EMI-related issues. The "bright beacons of EMI like a 500 watt unshielded wire next to an unshielded data wire" versus those "tiny things that deplete the S/N piggy bank for one single transistor in the middle of a chip".

It's fun to ask to do tests and fun to speculate, but one has a greater appreciation of chip engineers doing a grand fight to S/N ratio that caused Intel to fail to clock faster than 5 GHz and caused GHz to stop increasing... If you didn't train HEAVILY in the laws of physics of S/N, then one can never hope to understand this post even partially.

Again, this is not a "Because it successfully worked for me, it will work for you" type of problem. No two EMI issues by users are identical, although the high-likelihood ones (the ones with more than 1% chance of being the culprit, and/or the outlier ultra-weak S/N dominoes like the LG 5K recall from WiFi-interference complaints) -- by different users might birthday-attack against each other and occasionally two users have the same EMI issue. But more often than not, it's completely separate unique EMI issues. So solution by user A will typically not easily fix issues by user B.

Most EMI work is pre-emptive, by the chip designers and circuit board manufacturers. S/N is a basic staple of electronics circuit-design teachings. It's often the weaker S/N dominoes that slip through, and those unexpected interference sources that tips them.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

3xil3

Post by 3xil3 » 09 Jun 2022, 07:56

OK so i got weird one its not AIO its thermal paste? Hear me out been doing ton trial error this week Ive always stuck with grizzly Kryonaut for great performance. This isn't user TIM application error Ive even used much harder to install IC diamond prior to Kryonaut on my custom loop prior and never had issues.

So messing with AIO wires and I even took PC apart and rebuilt find possible ground issues i didnt find anything. Also in this process I ended used up all my Kryonaut and settled with some corsair TM30 hadn't opened yet.
Some how fixed lag issue so went microcenter got more grizzly Kryonaut reapplied and BAM and mouse feels off again granted no terrible and not consistent but mouse feel really smooth/floaty. For shits giggles figured id give cosrair TM30 another go and everything feels fine again so much so i left it on for few days no issues. Gave Kryonaut another go and issue back returned. Im not sure WTF going on Kryonaut not electric conductive and not spilling any on MB/CPU/socket.

edit

Other Possibility mounting pressure but ive reapplied grizzly countless times it comes with applicator to install thin coating evenly over the IHS. But never really liked z490 socket imo too delicate and AIO bracket sits over MB/CPU backplate.

nyxo100

Post by nyxo100 » 09 Jun 2022, 15:24

3xil3 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 07:56
OK so i got weird one its not AIO its thermal paste? Hear me out been doing ton trial error this week Ive always stuck with grizzly Kryonaut for great performance. This isn't user TIM application error Ive even used much harder to install IC diamond prior to Kryonaut on my custom loop prior and never had issues.

So messing with AIO wires and I even took PC apart and rebuilt find possible ground issues i didnt find anything. Also in this process I ended used up all my Kryonaut and settled with some corsair TM30 hadn't opened yet.
Some how fixed lag issue so went microcenter got more grizzly Kryonaut reapplied and BAM and mouse feels off again granted no terrible and not consistent but mouse feel really smooth/floaty. For shits giggles figured id give cosrair TM30 another go and everything feels fine again so much so i left it on for few days no issues. Gave Kryonaut another go and issue back returned. Im not sure WTF going on Kryonaut not electric conductive and not spilling any on MB/CPU/socket.

edit

Other Possibility mounting pressure but ive reapplied grizzly countless times it comes with applicator to install thin coating evenly over the IHS. But never really liked z490 socket imo too delicate and AIO bracket sits over MB/CPU backplate.

bro i respect you but believe my this issue It has nothing to do with your setup... this issue happen even in consoles and gaming notebooks i tested for a long time.

there are a couple of games when you test this issue are much more noticeable than others Fornite and Rocket league... in Fortnite this issue is Huge but really huge the construction feels really off and the aim is erratic as heck is so much more noticeable than other shooters.

in rocket league the cars feels like tank and the movement is clunky i see so much people with this issue and they call this "the heavy car bug"

don't break your head this issue is something so much deeper than your setup managment sorry for my bad english.

3xil3

Post by 3xil3 » 11 Jun 2022, 19:11

It not game of software its hardware interference with CPU at higher frequency. IDK why but narrowing down to AIO/wires behind CPU then accidently at random redoing paste when diffent brand fixed issue. It really easy to try it out seen if helps anything else.

And I've been dealing with this for almost year. I read so much here every issue from this person it littarly looks like i posted we have did all same to fix.
I gave up and noticed electrical wire touching my comcast coax made worst. I got better when spearted but count fix as on 2nd floor. And good luch with comcast so I blamed electrical even had electrical inspector come look and found nothing regardless what i showed him. But now know about paste i think it happened around when custom loop due for maintenance and made decision to just get aio it was nzxt kraken 360 aio with intel 980x it had very subtitle lag/smotthness I figured time upgrade. When i did upgrade I build so many systems/configs also so many microcenters return :( i decided just build mini PC. I gave up nothing worked. Now it working fine with different paste for what ever reason. I even did grizzly and noticed lag got better with i loosen AIO screws. So much so i unscrew AIO complely and was fine but this wasn't solution since CPU got hot.
]

edit
Sorry for messy spelling grammer