Blurinator 9000 - Blur simulation software

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
MCLV

Blurinator 9000 - Blur simulation software

Post by MCLV » 30 Apr 2021, 14:29

I just published first version of a software for LCD blur simulation which I named Blurinator 9000. My goal was to create an educational tool for demonstrating basic effect in LCD motion blur physics rather than an industrial grade LCD simulator. I hope that you will like the result :) It is available via this link https://github.com/marianvlcek/blurinat ... /tag/v9000 and it looks like this:
Blurinator_9000_screenshot.png
Blurinator_9000_screenshot.png (245.51 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Blurinator 9000 - Blur simulation software

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Apr 2021, 16:50

MCLV wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 14:29
I just published first version of a software for LCD blur simulation which I named Blurinator 9000. My goal was to create an educational tool for demonstrating basic effect in LCD motion blur physics rather than an industrial grade LCD simulator. I hope that you will like the result :) It is available via this link https://github.com/marianvlcek/blurinat ... /tag/v9000 and it looks like this:
Blurinator_9000_screenshot.png
Oh, fantastic work!

This does what I wanted to do in year 2014 but never had the time to: a software-based display emulator package. TestUFO is gradually getting there, but it's in bits-and-pieces in different tests rather than a unified display emulator.

Related Thread: Proposed TestUFO Display Emulator in 2014

This can provide the basis for collaboration on improved software-based display emulators, which I've been dreaming of doing for years (it's a very programming heavy work) and this is something I have been wanting to start as an open source project.

Hopefully I can collaborate some source code later this year to this and/or port this to JavaScript. PixPerAn had a very basic display emulator at the bottom edge even twenty years ago, but I have been wanting to build this into TestUFO eventually. The math is quite simple in my mind, but it's just a lot of unpaid programming. Thanks for stepping up to the plate to doing this.

Long-term (2021-2025) enhancements I'd love to see in commits / forks / inspired spinoff projects, crediting your original project of course!
  • Color sequential emulation, like this beta TestUFO emulator
    [WARNING: Epileptics using 60Hz displays, bad red/blue/green flicker!] ...)
  • PWM emulation (to generate the ugly serrated artifact at www.blurbusters.com/lcd-motion-artifacts ...), like this TestUFO emulator
  • DLP temporal dithering emulation
  • Plasma temporal dithering emulation (tightly grouped pulses)
  • CRT electron beam emulator (rolling scan emulation)
  • Artifically fast/slow simulated LCD GtG using the formulas written by ScepticMatt ([urlhttps://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=418]thread[/url])
  • Optional ability to playback animation in real time on ultra-high-Hz displays (e.g. emulating a 60Hz CRT on a 360Hz LCD) to watch original artifact in realtime
  • Etc
As we get to a 1000Hz display, it will be able to software-emulate a lot of retro displays including its temporal artifacts (temporal dithering, color sequential, PWM artifacts, GtG, CRT impulsing, rolling scan). Although your project mainly focusses on sample and hold behaviors, it seems extensible to emulate other kinds of displays in the future by modelling sub-refresh behaviors.

Blur Busters a great prestigious place for this type of collaboration work, so I am honored to be the first website to get knowledge of your open source project!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors