kernel tweaks, updated May 16

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Slender

Re: kernel tweaks, updated May 10

Post by Slender » 10 May 2024, 18:48

Hyote wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:53
Slender wrote:
10 May 2024, 13:28
day to day update
I'm done for the time being. Another thing I did to improve latency was unlock csrss and dwm because changing their priority didn't work correctly. Now I have 2x csrss and dwm assigned to a single core, running csrss at realtime and dwm at low. Also put 2x fontdrvhost on a single core at low priority and audiodg on a separate core without changing its priority. If someone doesn't know these can be changed in the details tab of task manager or Process Hacker, Explorer or Lasso. Unlocking csrss and dwm is done by installing wind64, opening cmd and putting in the command wind64 /d "process id". After unlocking them, I recommend deleting wind64 as it blocks games from opening and also adds input lag.

that all not need in w11 anymore

joolae

Re: kernel tweaks, updated May 8 (completely rewritten)

Post by joolae » 10 May 2024, 18:49

bleya99 wrote:
10 May 2024, 00:52
joolae wrote:
09 May 2024, 04:53
Feedback time for some of the added tweaks (disclaimer: I'm mainly focusing on input delay and feel).
HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity - Enabled - 0 = increases my input delay.
"SizeReqBuf" 95268 = a bit smoother but with minute increase in input delay I prefer to run without this one.
deleting : PagedPoolQouta & NonPagedPoolQouta = increased my input delay by a lot (I set mine to 0) *I think you also removed these tweaks*
"SystemResponsiveness" - dword:00000064 = increased my input delay (I have better input with this to 0)

for DirectX and DXGKrnl tweaks, I have been running the same tweaks even before, we chose the same ones to add lol.
for Power tweaks, input delay is a bit better but I'm still evaluating, overall pretty nice :D
Hey, I can't see these registry PagedPoolQouta & NonPagedPoolQouta.

I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management but it wasn't there, so I can delete them. Perhaps I haven't made all the "updates" of this post, so it's missing? Can you check it's Registry Path? Thanks.

It's supposed to be here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management, just re-create them with value of 0 for both if they're missing, those 2 tweaks were previously included here suggesting to delete them so maybe that's why it's missing for your system.

joolae

Post by joolae » 10 May 2024, 18:52

Hyote wrote:
Slender wrote:
day to day update
I'm done for the time being. Another thing I did to improve latency was unlock csrss and dwm because changing their priority didn't work correctly. Now I have 2x csrss and dwm assigned to a single core, running csrss at realtime and dwm at low. Also put 2x fontdrvhost on a single core at low priority and audiodg on a separate core without changing its priority. If someone doesn't know these can be changed in the details tab of task manager or Process Hacker, Explorer or Lasso. Unlocking csrss and dwm is done by installing wind64, opening cmd and putting in the command wind64 /d "process id". After unlocking them, I recommend deleting wind64 as it blocks games from opening and also adds input lag.

Not sure if you have to do all of this, but I'm running csrss @realtime just fine, while I run dwm on idle. On my end I can definitely feel running dwm on idle vs low hence why.

Hyote

Post by Hyote » 11 May 2024, 02:42

joolae wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:52
Hyote wrote:
Slender wrote:
day to day update

Not sure if you have to do all of this, but I'm running csrss @realtime just fine, while I run dwm on idle. On my end I can definitely feel running dwm on idle vs low hence why.
Check if if they really do run at realtime and idle with the "wmic process list brief" command. If the priority of csrss is 24 and dwm is shown to be 4 then they really do run at their set priorities. But in Windows 10 they have to be unlocked with wind64 and rechecked to actually run like that.

otimização

Post by otimização » 11 May 2024, 08:27

Hyote wrote:
11 May 2024, 02:42
joolae wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:52
Hyote wrote:
Slender wrote:
day to day update

Check if if they really do run at realtime and idle with the "wmic process list brief" command. If the priority of csrss is 24 and dwm is shown to be 4 then they really do run at their set priorities. But in Windows 10 they have to be unlocked with wind64 and rechecked to actually run like that.
Wind64 Installing Failed to initialize driver :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: These helped me a LOT

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2024, 12:15

MIETAS wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 14:02
dude wth, stop throwing unexplained, random stuff at ppl
I'll allow the post.
Blur Busters tweakers love this stuff.
Some of the settings may work, but others may make things worse.
However, I've inserted appropriate disclamers.

Any experienced forum members should follow up and post findings of the most-effective settings or two, it's often a needle-in-haystack factor in the mix of placebos and non-placebos.

Technical users with lots of time for researching -- should try the "binary search" method if you're testing a disposable/rollabackable operating system install. Essentially, test half of the settings at a time, in a ever-smaller-slice manner (halves, quarters, eighths, and so on, until monotonic) to determine the holy-grail settings. RTSS frametime graphs and/or LDAT-style graphs is good for science too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Lev1n

Re: kernel tweaks, updated May 3

Post by Lev1n » 15 May 2024, 07:57

bleya99 wrote:
07 May 2024, 06:43
Hyote wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:42
skkiNN wrote:
06 May 2024, 09:34
Hyote wrote:
04 May 2024, 13:13

Added some, changed some. There are still things I could share but I'd need to write a whole guide then.
Another question man (sorry for my english) i just entered all the commands via cmd like 1 week ago. What i have to do if i want now enter ur "edited" commands and adding some others? Arent they duplicated or something like that? hope u understood what i mean
You can add them as many times as you like, only the values will change. I changed most, so you can even compare them with your current registry values.
Hi, where are the values from the 30th of April update? Those worked best for me. Cheers
Did you find these settings by any chance? I didnt felt good like those settings with updated ones.

Hyote

Post by Hyote » 15 May 2024, 10:06

Lev1n wrote:
15 May 2024, 07:57
bleya99 wrote:
Hyote wrote:
skkiNN wrote:

Another question man (sorry for my english) i just entered all the commands via cmd like 1 week ago. What i have to do if i want now enter ur "edited" commands and adding some others? Arent they duplicated or something like that? hope u understood what i mean
You can add them as many times as you like, only the values will change. I changed most, so you can even compare them with your current registry values.
Hi, where are the values from the 30th of April update? Those worked best for me. Cheers
Did you find these settings by any chance? I didnt felt good like those settings with updated ones.
No, unfortunately I never saved any of them, just changed along the way. With other optimizations these values give the lowest latency while retaining performance and normal internet connectivitiy. Some of them can mess those up.

vhagar

Post by vhagar » 15 May 2024, 20:31

bleya99 wrote:
Hyote wrote:
skkiNN wrote:
Hyote wrote:
04 May 2024, 13:13

Added some, changed some. There are still things I could share but I'd need to write a whole guide then.
This is what I have saved out from the 04/26 list:

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "MaxDynamicTickDuration" /t REG_DWORD /d "1000" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "MaxDynamicTickDurationSize" /t REG_DWORD /d "4294967295" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "MinDynamicTickDuration" /t REG_DWORD /d "1000" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "SerializeTimerExpiration" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "MaximumSharedReadyQueueSize" /t REG_DWORD /d "96" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "BufferSize" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "IoQueueWorkItem" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "IoQueueWorkItemToNode" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "IoQueueWorkItemEx" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "IoQueueThreadIrp" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "ExTryQueueWorkItem" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "ExQueueWorkItem" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "IoEnqueueIrp" /t REG_DWORD /d "32" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "DisableLowQosTimerResolution" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "XMMIZeroingEnable" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "UseNormalStack" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "UseNewEaBuffering" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "StackSubSystemStackSize" /t REG_DWORD /d "65536" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "AlwaysUnloadDll" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "DisablePagingExecutive" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "LargeSystemCache" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl" /v "IRQ8Priority" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "IoPageLockLimit" /t REG_DWORD /d "2147483648" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "HeapDeCommitFreeBlockThreshold" /t REG_DWORD /d "262144" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" /v "DontVerifyRandomDrivers" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem" /v "LongPathsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "CacheAwareScheduling" /t REG_DWORD /d "16" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard\Scenarios\HypervisorEnforcedCodeIntegrity" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "DisableExceptionChainValidation" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel" /v "KernelSEHOPEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "EnableCfg" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v "MoveImages" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "ProtectionMode" /t Reg_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FVE" /v "DisableExternalDMAUnderLock" /t Reg_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard" /v "EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity" /t Reg_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard" /v "HVCIMATRequired" /t Reg_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" /v "NoDataExecutionPrevention" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "DisableHHDEP" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Last edited by vhagar on 15 May 2024, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

vhagar

Post by vhagar » 15 May 2024, 20:32

Lev1n wrote:
15 May 2024, 07:57
bleya99 wrote:
Hyote wrote:
skkiNN wrote:

Posted what I had saved from the 04/26 list.