It’s been a while since my last post. I’ve spent quite a lot of time trying to solve an input-lag issue on my main PC, and I eventually found that a double-conversion UPS made a very noticeable improvement.
However, over the last few months I’ve made some observations that I honestly can’t explain, so I wanted to share them here in case someone with more knowledge about EMI, grounding, PSU behavior, power quality, or electrical noise can shed some light on what I’m experiencing.
The two PCs
My main PC:
Ryzen 7 9800X3D
RTX 4070 Super
32 GB DDR5
Modern motherboard/PSU
Connected to my double-conversion UPS
And then there is my old PC, which I originally bought for around $400 back in 2015:
Intel i5
GTX 1060
8 GB DDR3
Cheap/older PSU
I had to use the old PC temporarily because I was RMAing some fans from my main PC.
Normally, I wouldn't even bother testing it for competitive gaming because I assumed the experience would be significantly worse.
But something really strange happened.
The old PC felt better
I connected the old PC directly to the wall and didn't connect it to my UPS.
I launched Valorant expecting significantly worse input latency.
Instead, the mouse and movement felt extremely smooth.
Honestly, it felt better than my main PC.
At first I thought it was just placebo, so I started experimenting.
Experiment #1 — Old PC + UPS
I connected the old PC to the same double-conversion UPS that I normally use with my main PC.
Result:
No noticeable change.
The old PC still felt smooth.
Experiment #2 — Multiple power strips
I then tried something that probably sounds ridiculous.
I plugged a power strip into the wall, connected several devices to it, and then connected a second power strip to the first one. I basically tried to put as much load/devices on the same power path as I reasonably could.
I connected the old PC and both monitors to this setup.
Result:
Still completely smooth.
No obvious increase in input lag or change in mouse feel.
At this point I was extremely confused.
Then I switched back to my main PC
I connected my main PC to the UPS again.
It felt roughly like I remembered it.
The UPS definitely seems to help compared with running the PC directly from the wall, but after spending time with the old PC, I realized that the improvement wasn't 100%.
The modern PC still felt noticeably less responsive to me.
Then I decided to repeat the experiment without the UPS.
Main PC directly from the wall
Initially, it actually felt relatively normal.
But after playing for some time, the experience gradually became worse.
Eventually, I reached roughly the same level of input lag that originally made me start investigating this problem.
This is where things get really interesting.
My first thought was that perhaps some kind of electrical noise is getting through the PSU, or that something is changing thermally/electrically over time.
I'm not claiming that's actually what's happening — I have no measurements to prove it.
I'm just trying to understand why the behavior seems to correlate with the power source and time.
Then I tried the two-power-strip setup with the main PC
This time, instead of the UPS, I used the same kind of power-strip setup that seemed completely harmless with the old PC.
And, surprisingly, the main PC felt even worse.
At this point I'm completely confused.
The part I can't explain
How can this:
i5 + GTX 1060 + 8 GB DDR3 + old/cheap PSU
feel significantly smoother to me than this:
Ryzen 7 9800X3D + RTX 4070 Super + 32 GB DDR5
when both are running the same game and I'm using the same monitors/peripherals?
And why does the old PC seem almost completely unaffected by these power experiments while the modern PC seems much more sensitive?
This has made me wonder whether something related to:
EMI/RFI
conducted electrical noise
grounding
PSU filtering
motherboard VRMs
USB noise
GPU power delivery
switching power supplies
ground loops
monitor/PC interaction
or some other form of electrical interference
could somehow be affecting the system.
I'm especially curious about the possibility that modern PCs might simply have different or more complex switching/power circuitry, potentially making them behave differently in the presence of electrical noise.
Again, I'm not saying this is definitely EMI or "dirty electricity." That's just one hypothesis I'm trying to investigate.
There could obviously be something completely different going on.
What makes this even stranger
The UPS helped my main PC substantially, which is why I originally thought I had basically found the solution.
But after comparing it directly against the old PC, I'm starting to think that the UPS may only be masking part of the problem.
The old PC seems to be much less sensitive to whatever is happening.
So I'm wondering:
Could the difference actually be related to EMI/power quality, or am I looking in completely the wrong direction?
Could a modern 9800X3D/4070 Super system somehow be more susceptible to electrical interference than an older, much simpler system?
Or are there other mechanisms that could explain why two PCs connected to the same environment can have such different perceived input latency?
If anyone has experience with EMI measurements, PSU filtering, grounding, power-quality testing, USB noise, or competitive-gaming input latency, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
I'm particularly interested in ideas for actually measuring what's happening, rather than just continuing to swap cables and power sources and relying on subjective mouse feel.
At this point I'm genuinely tempted to sell the 9800X3D system and go back to the ancient i5/1060, which is absolutely ridiculous considering the hardware difference
So before I do something stupid, I'd love to hear what you guys think is actually going on.
