DIY Build ISP Questions [Build your own upgrader dongle!]

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Mouzuone

Re: DIY Build ISP Questions [Build your own upgrader dongle!

Post by Mouzuone » 24 Apr 2014, 05:26

Nope, you only need 6 - 2 signal, 4 ground. I even missed to connect pin #5 to ground and it worked anyway, so you actually need 5 pins only. You do need those, but they are available within any vga cable you find on the market.

pipomolo42

Post by pipomolo42 » 24 Apr 2014, 06:59

Hi,

I recently got a XL2411Z, which came with a v1 firmware, and I'm looking for a way to update it.

I also think that it might be feasible at virtually no cost, using only a VGA cable and software.

It is actually possible to use the DDC wires of a graphics card to control non-DDC I2C devices. There are multiple example of this on the web : people getting readings from temperature sensors, and controlling stepper motors (at least running linux).

I managed to scan the I2C bus using a lapop and a desktop PC (both with intel graphics), and in each case, got answers from the same device addresses : 0x37, 0x49, 0x50, 0x59.

0x37 is the "well known address" of the DDC/CI
0x50 is the "well known address" of the EDID EEPROM

As for 0x49 and 0x59, they are 7bit I2C addresses, which, when shifted for the R/W bit can also be represented as 0x92 and 0xb2, they appear in various service manuals of tv sets and monitors based on MSTAR chips (as well as in the MSTAR ISP utility), and are described as 0x49/0x92 being the ISP (in-system programming) port, and 0x59/0xb2 being a debug port.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet to the point where I can flash the firmware, as I couldn't find any datasheet or source code example describing the I2C commands and arguments expected by the ISP or debug port.

In the end, the flash chip containing the firmware is accessed by the MSTAR one through a SPI bus, and the commands send to the I2C ISP port will most likely be "forwarded" to the SPI bus. But there is also a chance that a bad erase or write operation will corrupt the flash, and might brick the screen, so I don't think I'll try sending commands on this bus until I'm exactly sure what I'm doing.

If any of you has a link to a datasheet that contains more information than a simple "how to use the MSTAR ISP tool", especially for erasing/writing the flash (not the EDID eeprom at address 0x50), that would be nice.

Andronicus

Post by Andronicus » 26 Apr 2014, 18:03

I do not know if MSTAR would release that kind of information publicly, but you can sniff i2c protocol during a flash with a bus pirate and eventually use it for a reflash of SPI on a brick :mrgreen:

eidenm

Post by eidenm » 29 Apr 2014, 05:11

Just thought I'd share for those yet to build their gadget that connecting ground to the metal shroud of the ports is not necessary for the device to work. Maybe it's a safety feature incase of short-circuit but in any case I just connected all the specified grounds internally and gave it a go. Once hooked up the monitor was recognised immediately when pressing the MStar software's connect button and the upgrade went smoothly.

I don't have any pictures but there's not much to see - I bought an LPT port shroud along with all the components and managed to fit everything inside it including putting the VGA-out port on the back (took a while as the soldering and wiring had to be super-compact). But the end result is a nice sturdy little adapter that I'm quite proud of, and best part is it actually works! :)

mrz121

Re: AW: DIY Build ISP Questions [Build your own upgrader don

Post by mrz121 » 02 May 2014, 14:45

pipomolo42 wrote:Good news, everyone!

I just managed to flash the V2 firmware on my XL2411Z, using only a VGA cable and some code I wrote.

It only requires a PC or laptop running GNU/Linux, and a video chip that exposes its I2C bus (the Intel graphic chip icluded in most laptops and recent CPUs does).

It's all available here : http://boeglin.org/blog/index.php?entry ... -free(dom)

I'll clean it up a bit soon, but currently, you might have to modify one line to match your I2C device : line 73 of mstarddc_spi.c, the "/dev/i2c-1" device has to match the one corresponding to your VGA port (you get this info using "i2cdetect -l").

As always, use it at your own risk.
Hi. I already sent you a mail because im having a problem with flashrom.
user@debian:~/Desktop/flashrom$ sudo ./flashrom -p mstarddc_spi
flashrom v0.9.7-r1782 on Linux 3.2.0-4-486 (i686)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org
Calibrating delay loop... OK.
mstarddc_spi_init: open errno 2
Error: Programmer initialization failed.
user@debian:~/Desktop/flashrom$ 
I tried live versions of Ubuntu and Debian x86 and x64 and getting this error everytime. On both PC and laptop.maybe you or someone Who also managed to flash it with this method can help or give a more detailed step by step guide for Linux rookies like me :-D

Gesendet von meinem SGP321 mit Tapatalk

pepuri

Post by pepuri » 03 May 2014, 04:19

Hi all, im just writting this cuz i did it like in the pdf.

Personally used:

- 2 resistors 82 Ω
- 1 LPT male
- 1 d-sub (rs232) female
- 2 transistors npn, BC337-25
- protoboard
- bracket LPT

Here are some pics;

pipomolo42

Re: AW: DIY Build ISP Questions [Build your own upgrader don

Post by pipomolo42 » 04 May 2014, 10:36

Hi,

In order not to hijack this DIY build thread any longer, I created a new one for the linux tool here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=779

I posted an answer for you there, mrz121.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2014, 11:27

Gymnae wrote:
pipomolo42 wrote:Good news, everyone!

I just managed to flash the V2 firmware on my XL2411Z, using only a VGA cable and some code I wrote.

It only requires a PC or laptop running GNU/Linux, and a video chip that exposes its I2C bus (the Intel graphic chip icluded in most laptops and recent CPUs does).

It's all available here : http://boeglin.org/blog/index.php?entry ... -free(dom)

I'll clean it up a bit soon, but currently, you might have to modify one line to match your I2C device : line 73 of mstarddc_spi.c, the "/dev/i2c-1" device has to match the one corresponding to your VGA port (you get this info using "i2cdetect -l").

As always, use it at your own risk.
This man right here is a Genius!
I followed his blog entry and it worked.

First we tried it via a Raspberry Pi and its exposed GPIO ports, but it didn't work. Then we created a live linux USB stick, booted, installed the required packages and flashed. I had to disconnect my discrete GPU, but that is ok. flashing happened through a normale VGA cable!

This procedure is most likely for those who don't mind apt-get and bash, but it does work.
This breakthrough has been moved to this thread:
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

razKarZ

Post by razKarZ » 22 Jun 2014, 03:46

what is the best PCI-e to LPT card for Update V2?

Penoctikum

Post by Penoctikum » 30 Jun 2014, 12:50

I´ve made my own Dongle and it works great. A technical Student from the University of my Town (RWTH Aachen) helps me. ;)
My first attempt to flash the F/W was successful without any errors or other problems. I can´t believe this!!! :D

So if anybody from Germany/EU want to buy this Cable/Dongle pls contact me: [email protected]
I sell it for 20 € + shipping costs.