The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
User avatar
speancer
Posts: 165
Joined: 03 May 2020, 04:26
Location: Poland

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by speancer » 05 Oct 2020, 04:46

axaro1 wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 04:08
How does 280hz/240hz ELMB compare to Dyac/MBR on the XL2546 and the MAG?
I am a strictly peripheral CS:GO player (stare-at-crosshair-only aiming technique) and thus I have very little interest in strobing (because it basically only helps in eye tracking situations and I don't do eye tracking in competitive play), so I did not test strobing modes extensively. I shared my opinion about VG259QM's ELMB here. If I HAD to choose, I'd always choose Zowie's DyAc, even though it seemed less clear than ELMB, because the brightness impact kills ELMB for me in practice. In addition to that, I did not test ELMB on 240 Hz on the ASUS, and I did not really test MBR on the MSI, it's way too dark for me to use it anyway.
Max_hz wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 04:14
Thanks for your feedback, the Omen is indeed a good and fast monitor and if it hadn't been for pixel inversion artifacts I would have kept it. The Omen is slightly faster than the Asus but negligible in my opinion and I couldn't feel the difference in game.
The UFO Ghosting Test is certainly valuable and useful for comparing monitors and settings but it is not always comparable to the experience you get in the game in my case CS:GO.
The "vertical lines" spoil the clear view during movements and in this way negate the advantage of 240hz.
With the Asus I have no problems with this at all (they just aren't there) and if you take the other advantages such as IPS, ergonomics, ELMB (sync), possibility of overclocking then the choice between the two is not that difficult.
A kd of 3.84 as you say is very good and also indicates that the monitor meets the expected performance, having said that I can well imagine that you will eventually choose the 360hz version if you want to accept the price difference, I personally think it's quite big.
I wonder what your choice will be after testing the XL2546K and the PG259QN, in the end they are all good monitors that will make the choice a bit more difficult.
I'm glad to share :) 3.84 KD is INSANE (I did it on pistols-only-headshot-only server, part of my practice routine), not only good :lol: Everything starting from 2.0 KD in CS:GO is good, and from 3.0 is superb, especially on harder servers, like "WarmupServer" line, I see pros playing there as well.

As for my final choice, I am also curious if performance improvement will justify the high price of PG259QN for me. I still don't know when this monitor will be available in my country, but I should get my hands on XL2546K this month. I will very likely share my experiences!
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM (current main)ASUS VG279QMHP Omen X 25fBenQ Zowie XL2546 MSI MAG251RXAcer Predator XB273 XAcer Predator XB271HU
Displays to test: BenQ Zowie XL2546K • ASUS PG259QN

iceboy
Posts: 2
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 14:22

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by iceboy » 05 Oct 2020, 12:51

RealNC wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 18:19
iceboy wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 14:28
This adds a significant lag for my gameplay even at 240hz.
How do you know this?
By feeling - I play a racing game which needs tuning in the computer everywhere, otherwise it's unplayable (the difference is like pro vs rookie). I can consistently play better with native resolution comparing to GPU-scaled so I concluded there was lag. Lag not only makes one play worse, but also creates tiredness and headache when one played for a long time. If you have the tools you can try to measure and I believe there is a difference.

Some background if you are interested in testing, or to get what I'm doing:

OS: Windows 7 32-bit, SP1, no patch
Do not install DirectX 9.0c
Nvidia driver version: 391.35
Display set at 1152x864@240hz
Application run at dx9 windowed mode, 1024x768, capped at 60fps
Stop dwm

Alpha
Posts: 91
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by Alpha » 07 Oct 2020, 13:15

speancer wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 04:46

I am a strictly peripheral CS:GO player (stare-at-crosshair-only aiming technique) and thus I have very little interest in strobing (because it basically only helps in eye tracking situations and I don't do eye tracking in competitive play), so I did not test strobing modes extensively. I shared my opinion about VG259QM's ELMB here. If I HAD to choose, I'd always choose Zowie's DyAc, even though it seemed less clear than ELMB, because the brightness impact kills ELMB for me in practice. In addition to that, I did not test ELMB on 240 Hz on the ASUS, and I did not really test MBR on the MSI, it's way too dark for me to use it anyway.
Not to go off topic here but I have always found this fascinating. Off the top of your head, are you aware of any resources that talk in depth about the various aiming techniques? If not, no worries man and thanks! Not so sound overly odd but after lasik had an extremely non expectant side effect though I have perfect vision near and far now. If I could go back 3 years, I'd pass on the surgery due to the side effect that literally never occurred to me as being possible.

User avatar
Discorz
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 02:39

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by Discorz » 08 Oct 2020, 07:39

This is some interesting stuff.
I noticed you mostly talk about sample-and-hold OD, did you test this with ELMB and ELMBS. Does it affect the ELMBS overshoot range. According to Aperture Grille/a5hun review OD can't be changed when ELMB/ELMBS is enabled. Because of that ELMBS bellow 200Hz/fps has some serious overshoot. Classic ELMB seems to have same issue.
Last edited by Discorz on 23 Oct 2020, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

hzl
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Oct 2020, 14:32

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by hzl » 08 Oct 2020, 14:44

Hi there,
how does the Asus VG259QM compare against the Benq XL2546K/XL2546 in terms of input latency etc.
Is the Benq faster in any way or does it not make a difference anymore whether someone decides to buy a fast IPS panel monitor or a TN?
Im currently using a XL2411z but since it doesn't have a displayport cable and i want to buy a new GPU soon i want to upgrade my monitor.
Earlier this year i have ordered a Omen X 25f (had two of them because i thought the first one was broken) but it was really bad. When scrolling text (https://www.testufo.com/framerates-text) there was a dark and blurry mess after each word. This happened on both X 25f monitors!
The Omen felt really good in games - way smoother than my XL2411z - but it was unusable on the desktop/when doing research. And it had better colors than my XL2411z.

Now since i mostly play games like CSGO (8k+ hours) and also some Quake and Diabotical im searchin for the best 240hz monitor there is for my use case.
Im scared that the Asus might be a bit slower than fast TN panels like the XL2546K. Not really because i might lose games with it, no. But because a fast monitor feels really responsive overall. And so even using it on the desktop makes things more pleasant!

Is someone in here who tested both the Asus and the Benq? Are there any downsides buying the Asus instead of the Benq?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Discorz
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 02:39

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by Discorz » 09 Oct 2020, 05:13

hzl wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 14:44
how does the Asus VG259QM compare against the Benq XL2546K/XL2546 in terms of input latency etc.
According to RTINGS reviews of XL2540 (wich is basically same monitor/panel as '46/46K) and VG279QM (give or take 0,1 or 0,2 ms difference between panel sizes of same model) zowie is at 4,1 ms and asus is 2,5 ms of gtg response time. Same for input lag, zowie 3,7 ms, asus 1,7 ms. Your omen X 25f is 2,1 ms of response time and 2,6 ms of lag.
But when you compare TFTc TN vs IPS list, TN panels are still 1-2 ms faster (https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asu ... ison_4.jpg)
Newer monitors have better input lag ( https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asu ... qm/lag.png)

I've seen alot of ufo pursuits comparing today's fast IPS panels and TN's @240Hz and IPS seem to have a bit more ghosting trail. Zowie has better implementation of "motion blur reduction" tho but worse colors. VG259QM both ELMB ant ELMBS are unusable below 200Hz/fps. Overall you should expect 1-2 ms blurrier response times from VG259QM compared to X 25f but with better colors ofc.

Im currently on TN 240 alienware and planning to switch to IPS 280. TN is kinda irritating to my eyes.
Advice: buy 27", targets are bigger therefore you'll play tiny bit better and the ppi at that size and resolution is very easy to get use to.

hzl
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Oct 2020, 14:32

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by hzl » 09 Oct 2020, 12:11

I just got it and it feels VERY responsive!
Im not using any sync at the moment at it feels great. Having almost no screen tearing feels very nice!
280hz seems to be stable (probably always the case) but do you guys think its gonna change the lifespan of the monitor in any way?

User avatar
speancer
Posts: 165
Joined: 03 May 2020, 04:26
Location: Poland

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by speancer » 09 Oct 2020, 19:25

Alpha wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 13:15
Not to go off topic here but I have always found this fascinating. Off the top of your head, are you aware of any resources that talk in depth about the various aiming techniques?
Not really, no. I only described how my aiming developed, I never really researched this topic.
Alpha wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 13:15
Not so sound overly odd but after lasik had an extremely non expectant side effect though I have perfect vision near and far now. If I could go back 3 years, I'd pass on the surgery due to the side effect that literally never occurred to me as being possible.
I have no idea what you're on about, to be honest :?
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM (current main)ASUS VG279QMHP Omen X 25fBenQ Zowie XL2546 MSI MAG251RXAcer Predator XB273 XAcer Predator XB271HU
Displays to test: BenQ Zowie XL2546K • ASUS PG259QN

tombox
Posts: 10
Joined: 05 Aug 2019, 02:56

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by tombox » 10 Oct 2020, 02:29

When loading a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, do other users get black screens or even lower max refresh rates in settings? I almost always have to restart the game multiple times or power on and off the monitor to get 280hz to work/show up in COD settings. Sometimes the game is locked at 60 fps, even though my monitor is running at 280hz. Is this normal, if no what's the fix?

Alpha
Posts: 91
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by Alpha » 10 Oct 2020, 08:18

tombox wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 02:29
When loading a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, do other users get black screens or even lower max refresh rates in settings? I almost always have to restart the game multiple times or power on and off the monitor to get 280hz to work/show up in COD settings. Sometimes the game is locked at 60 fps, even though my monitor is running at 280hz. Is this normal, if no what's the fix?
COD is a legit mess. Gsync enabled would completely break the game from starting for a period. No idea if the newest drivers or updates resolved this. I constantly have to enable fullscreen and set render resolution as well as graphic settings. This is multiple PC's, with various hardware. I believe I experienced the locked 60hz which is literally completely unplayable and really my only complaint about the VG259QM and had to make a change to the config.cfg in the user document folder after deleting 3 other files. Its hard to recall because this is the buggiest game I have ever seen. If you see that in game, try switching to borderless (I know ridiculous) see if it helps but you may need to turn off gsync. I'm top 8% in the world in Wins and top 10% in KD so if I am not winning money in tournaments we end up memeing just because it's impossible to take seriously. With my hardware, I found it best to leave everything off. Gsync, vsync, everything. FPS would average from 138 to 205. After the last few network breaking pactches, I seem to be hovering around the high 170's on average. YMMV.

Post Reply