60fps on 144Hz or 240Hz

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jorimt

Re: 60fps on 144Hz or 240Hz

Post by jorimt » 08 Nov 2021, 15:50

Discorz wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:09
Yes, this is what I would of said too until week ago when I tested again all the possible combinations and it all felt kinda same latency wise. Don't know whats up with that. Makes me want to get into measuring with proper equipment to see what is really going on.
Depends on the individuals' sensitivity to latency; 57 FPS 60Hz vs. 60 FPS 144Hz G-SYNC, for instance, on the same display, will only be a few millisecond difference (say anywhere from 2 to 5 ms average) at crosshair-level.

Some may notice, others may not, but it's there.

Average 60 FPS latency at anything higher than 60Hz with G-SYNC is lower from a per frame scanout perspective. Overdrive performance and model-to-model display processing latency is another thing altogether though, which can also affect perception in this respect.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

kogorta

Post by kogorta » 08 Nov 2021, 16:58

Discorz wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:09
So Kogorta try and experiment with this. I know its a bit weird advice but reduce overdrive and framerate. Maybe your 24G2 ends up being good for you.
I returned AOC 24G2, blurry and it has dead pixels, but now i understand that i didn’t tested it with different settings.
Well, my next monitor will be from this list
LG 27GN750 240Hz
LG 27GL650 144Hz
ASUS VG259Q/VG279Q 144Hz
AOC 27g2 144Hz
BenQ EX2510/EX2710 144Hz
in my region prices is similar for those monitors,
maybe i will also try
ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM 240Hz
but it +100€ in my region, and i am not sure is it worth it.

I will search best offers in local stores.

So, thanks for answers, now i know a little bit more about monitors.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 09 Nov 2021, 03:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 14:34
Great pursuit camera photograph of MPRT-only blurring versus MPRT+GtG blurring!

I should add a pursuit camera sync track to the GtG versus MPRT test, because I think this is a fantastic pursuit camera opportunity.

The worse the GtG tuning, the more color combos will show top/bottom differences in the GtG vs MPRT blur. Surgically testing the colors in the red zones of a GtG heatmap (like RTINGS or HardwareUnboxed) shows a hell of a lot of smearing in this pursuit camera photo.

Tips: To amplify *trailing* ghost, background should be destination color, line should be source color, set R,G,B to same value for each. Or focus on a primary color if preferred (set one or two to zero, set the remainder of primary colors to the GtG heatmap value). The GtG speed of each subpixel is usually idential on LCDs, but sometimes vary on other technologies such as slower OLEDs or phosphor-pixel LCDs (e.g. QD-LED with fluorescent filters).
This is just a simulation.

Additional sync track would be nice.

Single pixel line is great way to demonstrate what's going on with display's 'pulse', with both strobed and non-strobed backlight. Even curves rise/fall can be visible to some point. Better than ufo in some places.

Here is M32Q vrr strobing 'debunked' by using single pixel line pursuit. If you scroll through the review, you'll find few examples.

It would be great if multiple colored lines and backgrounds were in same frame so camera could capture more of the transitions at once, the more the better. Problem with this is image can get huge. Singling out some of the more demanding ones can shrink it. Something like this or if line is too narrow or this, idk. I'd make this classic GtG only.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Nov 2021, 12:01

Discorz wrote:
09 Nov 2021, 03:18
This is just a simulation.

Nontheless, it's very realistic simulation of a pursuit-camera'd www.testufo.com/gtg-vs-mprt !

I will be adding a sync track to that test in the near future, as a result of this thread. I've added it to my internal bugzilla clone as a todo, as an expedited feature addition because it's simple to add sync tracks to any existing test patterns.

Discorz wrote:
Single pixel line is great way to demonstrate what's going on with display's 'pulse', with both strobed and non-strobed backlight. Even curves rise/fall can be visible to some point. Better than ufo in some places.
There's a special nuance that needs to be configurable:

Because there can be separate distortions on both leading edge and trailing edge, the single line needs to persist for a few refresh cycles like I already do at www.testufo.com/gtg-vs-mprt ....

This gives a little more distance between leading-edge GtG behaviors away from trailing-edge GtG behaviors, because GtG behaviors can persist for multiple refresh cycles. Also, it helps thicken the moving bar at slower bar moving speeds, for easier pursuit camera photography. If you screenshot www.testufo.com/gtg-vs-mprt you will see what I mean -- I persist the single-pixel line over multiple refresh cycles by spacing them for a few frame-steps.

This helps separate the leading-edge artifacts a little further away from trailing-edge artifacts, for easier analysis, because a single-refresh-cycle single-pixel-line doesn't have time to finish LCD GtG if the leading edge GtG (from background to the line color) requires multiple refresh cycles to begin. I'd rather have line color fully GtG'd before beginning the GtG back to background color, and that's what the /gtg-vs-mprt already does instead of /blurtrail

So this will be MUCH more accurate to pursuit-photograph than www.testufo.com/blurtrail especially for fixed-Hz non-strobed GtG analysis.

However, there ARE situations where we do want single-pixel lines. For example, strobe crosstalk tests where you have less overlapping blurs for leading/trailing edge complicating analysis. And GtG100% in far less than one refresh cycle is a mandatory requirement of zero-crosstalk strobing. So it's a brutal crosstalk test. Like your strobed VRR tests. So, upgrading /gtg-vs-mprt or creating a superset that can mimic either /blurtrail and /gtg-vs-mprt with one configurable test.
Discorz wrote:
It would be great if multiple colored lines and backgrounds were in same frame so camera could capture more of the transitions at once, the more the better. Problem with this is image can get huge. Singling out some of the more demanding ones can shrink it.
Fantastic idea.

Be noted, I am in the middle of a big move, so some bigger TestUFO updates may wait until later in winter. However I'll see if I can get it done this month (November) because some of these are almost one-line code additions because I already have a centralized pursuit-track renderer can use.

Discorz, I'd love you to create a "Discorz' TestUFO Wish List" thread and aggregate all your ideas into that. I bet you have some fantastic ideas already.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!