What I‘m pretty certain about though, is that I do prefer scrolling games on Pulsar, e.g. Anno or I guess Diablo. It’s just not a genre I play often. And for games like Baldurs Gate 3, I‘m pretty sure I do want good HDR instead.
But again, don’t want to be too off topic, but the Pulsar monitors are really great for what they are, so a point where I still think about keeping it. But I also don’t want to force finding use-cases just to have another think I need the space for. With all the CRTs, it’s hard already.
Something I didn’t say yet, is the strict frametime needed with pulsar. I thought that won’t be an issue, because I already do it to mitigate VRR flicker on OLED, but it seems to be even more strict/annoying if it’s not the case. E.g. in Final Fanatasy VII Remake, when in a big down, standing still I get around 240 FPS. When I now move the camera, it drops to around 140 FPS, CPU bound I might add. I need to limit my FPS to like 130 to not have the „pulsar hitches“. Comparing this to my OLED, I run at 156 FPS and because it’s not a dark scene, I don’t experience any VRR flicker. But even the VRR flicker in other scenes is less annoying to me than the pulsar hitches.
That’s not something I expected to be honest. I’m fine with limiting my FPS to have like 80% usage or whatever I need to have a stable frametime, but in that case, I needed to get down to like 40% GPU usage. And given the 1440p resolution, I’m likely often CPU bound compared to GPU, even with my 9800X3D and 5090.
I think to summarize my experience with all the tech I got: I prefer something which has less things that annoy me. IPS glow, blacklight bleeding, poor contrast, frametime hitches (no HDR, 1440p vs 4k) annoy me more than less motion clarity (due to my chicken head playstyle) and VRR flicker. For 60Hz, I’m certain I prefer the pulsar monitor, but I do have the fortune alternative with the Sony W900, so again, better contrast and less input lag.
Maybe the current generation of pulsar is just not for me yet, but I do understand everyone who prefers it if IPS/SDR is no issue for one. But to be fair, like with good motion clarity, someone needs to experience proper HDR for a good judgement.
RonsonPL wrote: ↑19 Sep 2026, 07:58
That's a habbit. You just need to change how you play. Use fluid motion of your hand to look around. With a monitor capable of handling motion well, you don't need to move the camera like a chicken moves its head.
Well, to be fair, I do prefer a higher camera sensitivity (be it mouse or controller), because I don’t like to wait an eternity to do a 180 rotation. It’s just faster and even when playing single player games, if I’m getting attacked from behind I want to be quick. Even with 0ms persistence, I‘m pretty sure I will still prefer this playstyle, its simply more fun to me. But I get where you are coming from, don’t get me wrong.
RonsonPL wrote: ↑19 Sep 2026, 07:58
I don't know how people play on samepl-and-hold displays and ride a horse for a few minutes. I'd die of boredom after 2 minutes, if I wasn't able to look around while seeing every detail in motion.
That’s definitely the biggest strength of low persistence to me. But then most things I focus on, e.g. in racing games (which is not my genre anyway), it’s still okay with 165Hz OLED.
RonsonPL wrote: ↑19 Sep 2026, 07:58
1440P 720Hz is very close. 1000Hz is definitely OK. You do need thousands or tens of thousands of fps/Hz to eliminate the strobing effect for the motion you don't track with your eye, but no, you don't need to wait for 3000Hz to get CRT motin clarity. There's a chance for 1000Hz 1440p OLEDs within next few years. Lesser chance for 4K, as we still don't even have rumors about 4K 500Hz.
True, I didn’t compare it to good motion in general but compared to the 120Hz ULMB2 10% PW. 1000Hz will definitely be good enough already. At some points, things are getting to fast that I can’t imagine I will be able to track the motion anyways. The UFO test is sometimes already hard so catch for me and that’s completely predictable.
RonsonPL wrote: ↑19 Sep 2026, 07:58
Nah, we don't need 6K per eye and IMHO the FOV
> resolution in VR.
2500x2500 per eye would be OK, I think. Of course - more for wide FOV if such even existed. MicroLEDs were supposed to go mainstream in VR over 6 years in 2022, but in 2026 this progressed nowhere outside of glasses-like form factor and this form factor is not for gaming, so we're stalling instead of progressing, sadly. And it's still superexpensive, not to mention not being mass-production ready. Check this page from time to time if you dream about HDR HMDs with perfect CRT motion clarity:
https://www.microled-info.com/
If only history went through different path, where SED and FED tech wasn't abandoned
Well I do own a Quest 3, Valve Index and two Play for Dream MR (with prescription lenses) and I do appreciate the lot highe resolution. In some games with high detail, it’s night and day. Would I prefer a lower resolution with more Hz, like the Steam Frame? Probably if it was OLED as well, but VR without OLED is dark games is simply not immersive enough to me. But as I said, I’m spoiled with dark blacks. The Play for Dream is around 4k per eye and I would not need anything more than that. Only for higher FOV as you mentioned.