Page 1 of 2
Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 20 Sep 2026, 05:38
by naporitan
naporitan wrote: ↑21 Sep 2026, 05:33
Alright, I’ve drawn some conclusions from my system.
With Secure Boot enabled and after installing the motherboard and GPU drivers, the game feels bad to play.
With Secure Boot disabled and the motherboard and GPU drivers installed, the gaming experience feels great.
With Secure Boot enabled and using the drivers offered by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer's, the game feels great.
I am using Windows 11 25H2 with all default settings; I haven't applied any tweaks.
My setup:
7800x3d
RX 7600 / RTX 4060
B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 00:27
by Cosmostraveler
naporitan wrote: ↑20 Sep 2026, 05:38
Hi, I have a Gigabyte AM5 motherboard with Secure Boot enabled by default in "Standard" mode, and I noticed some system issues. After installing all the motherboard drivers and updating the GPU driver, the entire system would freeze and become unrecoverable—even after disabling Secure Boot. I reinstalled the OS and reset the CMOS, but this time I disabled Secure Boot before installing Windows; after installing all the drivers, I re-enabled Secure Boot in "Custom" mode and reset the keys to factory defaults. Now the system is running perfectly.
My setup:
7800x3d
RX 7600
B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2
So what does this have to to do with input lag?
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 05:13
by Sygey3
Naporitan
What version of the graphics card driver and chipset are you using?
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 05:33
by naporitan
Alright, I’ve drawn some conclusions from my system.
With Secure Boot enabled and after installing the motherboard and GPU drivers, the game feels bad to play.
With Secure Boot disabled and the motherboard and GPU drivers installed, the gaming experience feels great.
With Secure Boot enabled and using the drivers offered by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer's, the game feels great.
I am using Windows 11 25H2 with all default settings; I haven't applied any tweaks.
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 05:52
by naporitan
naporitan wrote: ↑21 Sep 2026, 05:33
Alright, I’ve drawn some conclusions from my system.
With Secure Boot enabled and after installing the motherboard and GPU drivers, the game feels bad to play.
With Secure Boot disabled and the motherboard and GPU drivers installed, the gaming experience feels great.
With Secure Boot enabled and using the drivers offered by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer's, the game feels great.
I am using Windows 11 25H2 with all default settings; I haven't applied any tweaks.
There are motherboards with old drivers on Microsoft servers, and this is a problem, so I recommend purchasing an X870, etc.
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 06:36
by Sygey3
Naporitan
With Secure Boot disabled and the motherboard and GPU drivers installed, the gaming experience feels great.
With Secure Boot enabled and using the drivers offered by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer's, the game feels great.
Which is better?
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 06:43
by naporitan
Sygey3 wrote: ↑21 Sep 2026, 06:36
Naporitan
With Secure Boot disabled and the motherboard and GPU drivers installed, the gaming experience feels great.
With Secure Boot enabled and using the drivers offered by Microsoft instead of the manufacturer's, the game feels great.
Which is better?
It all depends on your system/pc.
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 06:48
by naporitan
It is important to understand that if you installed Windows with Secure Boot enabled and then disable it hoping for a fix, that won't work; resolving the issue requires a fresh reinstallation of Windows. If you installed Windows with Secure Boot and hardware manufacturer drivers enabled—and subsequently experienced poor gaming performance—disabling Secure Boot will not fix the problem; you will need to reinstall Windows.
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 07:36
by Sygey3
Is Clear CMOS required with every Windows installation?
Am I correct in understanding that before installing Windows, I need to go into the BIOS and select Secure boot — Disabled, while setting Secure boot mode to Standard? After installing Windows, I need to go into the BIOS and select Secure boot — Enabled and Secure boot mode — Custom, and reset the keys to factory defaults?
Is it better to install Windows with a Microsoft account or without? Should I enable or disable the internet during installation?
Re: Secure boot / input lag
Posted: 21 Sep 2026, 09:26
by naporitan
Sygey3 wrote: ↑21 Sep 2026, 07:36
Is Clear CMOS required with every Windows installation?
Am I correct in understanding that before installing Windows, I need to go into the BIOS and select Secure boot — Disabled, while setting Secure boot mode to Standard? After installing Windows, I need to go into the BIOS and select Secure boot — Enabled and Secure boot mode — Custom, and reset the keys to factory defaults?
Is it better to install Windows with a Microsoft account or without? Should I enable or disable the internet during installation?
Resetting the CMOS before installing Windows is mandatory.
To start with, before installing Windows, try enabling Secure Boot and Custom mode, and reset the keys to default.
When you are at the Windows setup stage and are asked to connect to the Internet, press Shift+F10 and enter the command `start ms-cxh:localonly` to create a local account.
After installing Windows, fully update the system, and then install the drivers for the motherboard and GPU.
Alternatively, do exactly the same thing but with Secure Boot disabled, and let me know if you noticed a difference and how significant it was.