ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Ferr0

Re: ASUS ROG Swift 500Hz Announced!

Post by Ferr0 » 19 Nov 2023, 01:34

Does anyone else get yellow ghosting on white text when scrolling in your web browser? If I turn off the OD it goes away. I thought this monitor wouldn't have this considering my old one didn't even with OD.

Also does anyone have an issue where you get a black screen temporarily everytime you alt tab even with Gsync off at 500hz? It depends on the game, happens with Overwatch and Apex Legends but not 7 Days to Die

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 19 Nov 2023, 05:43

Ferr0 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 01:34
Does anyone else get yellow ghosting on white text when scrolling in your web browser? If I turn off the OD it goes away. I thought this monitor wouldn't have this considering my old one didn't even with OD.

Also does anyone have an issue where you get a black screen temporarily everytime you alt tab even with Gsync off at 500hz? It depends on the game, happens with Overwatch and Apex Legends but not 7 Days to Die
Yeah and yeah

By the way, something I found today is that if you disable DSC (which is required to use DSR, Nvidia's supersampling / super-resolution feature) the monitor only goes up to 360hz and loses the 500hz / 540hz options.
Pretty lame

I think mathematically this monitor shouldn't even require DSC for those modes, right? Weird

Ferr0

Post by Ferr0 » 19 Nov 2023, 08:08

NDUS wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 22:44
While I'm airing grievances on this monitor, I'll say that at least my specimen is really yellow out of the box. Way worse out-of-the-box color than any past TN I've owned.

There's also this baffling thing called "GameVisual" where even Asus' manual doesn't know what it does. By default, "GameVisual Racing" is enabled on the monitor, and it's impossible to say what it's doing exactly. By flipping between the modes, you can see that they are doing something other than swapping available user-exposed settings. The "G-sync Esports" setting for example seems to hugely increase hue/chromacity (similar to the well-known Nvidia control panel adjustment)

You can disable it (I think?) by swapping to the "sRGB" GameVisual profile, but for some reason that locks all adjustments to:
"• In the sRGB Mode, the following function(s) are not user-configurable:
Color Temp., Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, Six-axis Saturation."

I've just left it on racing mode... deeply bizarre feature
I think that's just the color profiles

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 19 Nov 2023, 08:42

NDUS wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 05:43
Ferr0 wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 01:34

Yeah and yeah

By the way, something I found today is that if you disable DSC (which is required to use DSR, Nvidia's supersampling / super-resolution feature) the monitor only goes up to 360hz and loses the 500hz / 540hz options.
Pretty lame

I think mathematically this monitor shouldn't even require DSC for those modes, right? Weird
Can u share your experience with the brightness of this monitor with ULMB2 activated? If so can u please compare it to a other monitor you know with backlightstrobing? Like a Zowie model or maybe the 390hz Acer with VRB on extreme? Any info is more then welcome!
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

Boop

Post by Boop » 19 Nov 2023, 18:31

Something I noticed today is that the monitor will not go in standby mode unless you have "Power Setting -> Power Saving Mode" enabled. The problem with enabling Power Saving Mode is you can't adjust any color, brightness, contrast, game profiles, etc. and it makes everything use default values.

You must use Standard Mode to adjust most settings, and your monitor will never go into standby mode with this enabled, which means the GSYNC Fan never stops spinning, even when the display has no signal and is completely black for hours.

Jefa35

Post by Jefa35 » 20 Nov 2023, 04:57

PC: 3080 FE - 7800X3D / Monitor: VG259QM 280Hz / Mouse: Finalmouse UltralightX Guardian Medium / Keyboard: Wooting 60HE / Mousepads: Artisan Zero Soft, Hayate Otsu Soft, Raiden Mid, Hien Soft

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 20 Nov 2023, 06:08

Jefa35 wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 04:57
tftcentral review available : https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-r ... ro-pg248qp
nice ty. 318 nits is max brightness with ulmb2 on it says! gives me some hope tbh!
I also checked there xl2566k review. They measured 323 nits with dyac ( https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq-zowie-xl2566k ) thats basicly the same!
| Now: ASUS PG248QP 540Hz. | Past : VG259QM with the Qisda panel/PG27AQN/XL2566K

daviddave1

Post by daviddave1 » 20 Nov 2023, 06:24

I have a request for the people that already have the monitor.

Does the powerbrick have a option to detach the usa powercable and attach a eu cable for expample? Your help would be truly appreciated!! Please let me know!

Dalek

Post by Dalek » 20 Nov 2023, 15:45

Jefa35 wrote:
tftcentral review available : https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-r ... ro-pg248qp
tftcentral wrote: "On occasion the low pixel density also resulted in evidence of the “screen door effect” we found, where a fine grid-like pattern could be seen across the screen, although this tended to only be noticeable when you first glance at the screen, and as soon as your eyes focus it’s not really possible to see. This seems to be related to the pixel density and perhaps the panel coating, as opposed to any specific problem with this screen. Just a draw-back of 1080p TN Film panels in general."
Does anyone else also notice the screen door effect with this monitor?

NDUS

Post by NDUS » 21 Nov 2023, 04:08

Dalek wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 15:45
Jefa35 wrote:
tftcentral wrote: "On occasion the low pixel density also resulted in evidence of the “screen door effect” we found, where a fine grid-like pattern could be seen across the screen, although this tended to only be noticeable when you first glance at the screen, and as soon as your eyes focus it’s not really possible to see. This seems to be related to the pixel density and perhaps the panel coating, as opposed to any specific problem with this screen. Just a draw-back of 1080p TN Film panels in general."
Does anyone else also notice the screen door effect with this monitor?
I know what they're talking about and it's not pixel density. Screen door effect is the wrong word

The monitor has low-quality lamination (or just, too much of it - too much stuff in front of the actual panel) so there is an odd faint plasticky pattern. Like you can tell there's 4 or 5 pieces of plastic in front of the panel. I think it's caused by scattering of the polarized light within the laminated plastic layers
daviddave1 wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 06:24
I have a request for the people that already have the monitor.

Does the powerbrick have a option to detach the usa powercable and attach a eu cable for expample? Your help would be truly appreciated!! Please let me know!
Yes, the cable that leads to the wall from the brick is detachable