Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
-
SheerFinesse
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 01 Nov 2022, 01:43
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
VRR on or off? Pros and cons of both?
I have tried VRR for the first time for the past few days and am unsure if i play better or worse with it.
I play Fortnite and cap my frames at 387 on 390hz.
I can’t consistently hold 387 but my frames usually vary between 250-387.
I imagine VRR uses more of your GPU and could cost more performance but also increase some input lag - but improve my reaction time?
Thoughts? Recommendations?
I have tried VRR for the first time for the past few days and am unsure if i play better or worse with it.
I play Fortnite and cap my frames at 387 on 390hz.
I can’t consistently hold 387 but my frames usually vary between 250-387.
I imagine VRR uses more of your GPU and could cost more performance but also increase some input lag - but improve my reaction time?
Thoughts? Recommendations?
-
SheerFinesse
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 01 Nov 2022, 01:43
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
I just did some research and it seems that no pro esports players use G-Sync (VRR). The only difference I can see is that we have a 390hz monitor so maybe it is more worth it? Especially since I can’t consistently hold 390fps in Fortnite
- Discorz
- VIP Member
- Posts: 1157
- Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 02:39
- Location: Europe, Croatia
- Contact:
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
If u play without strobing and your frame rate is bellow 390 fps than just cap it few frames below that, enable VRR and forget about everything you read online. Capping fps bellow just keeps you inside VRR range. Exceeding 390 fps (uncapped) means you're outside range and VRR is no longer syncing or working, therefore judder might be noticed. In which case you don't need it.
Some might find VRR not helpful because screen tearing is less noticeable at such high refresh rates. Normally VRR is most effective at lower-end range. You can test this in any game, Smooth Frog is great for it. No need to worry about input lag as it is virtually non existent.
Some might find VRR not helpful because screen tearing is less noticeable at such high refresh rates. Normally VRR is most effective at lower-end range. You can test this in any game, Smooth Frog is great for it. No need to worry about input lag as it is virtually non existent.
- BTRY B 529th FA BN
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 13:28
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
.
Last edited by BTRY B 529th FA BN on 07 Aug 2025, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
-
pasutazame
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 19 May 2021, 01:10
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
Additional Information:pasutazame wrote: ↑14 Oct 2022, 14:54I have had experience using rx580 with 390hz. It probably works without problems on older versions of the driver (before April or previously). For 6600xt I had to update the driver and 390hz was gone.
I was able to get 390hz on new AMD driver versions with CRU
Use it at your own risk
CRU -> Extencion blocks -> add -> Type displayID 2.0 -> add -> detailed res -> add -> refrashrate 390 -> ok, ok, ok, ok -> restart/restart64
- Attachments
-
- 390hz cru.jpg (169.31 KiB) Viewed 8776 times
-
attila
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 18 Nov 2022, 05:02
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
Hello,
I apologize in advance for my poor English and if it's a bit long. I'm glad I found this forum because I see a lot of like-minded people here. That is why I would like to share my questions and thoughts with this community, to see if my post can help someone else in the future.
I would like to ask for your help regarding the optimal setting of xv25qf in Valorant. Should I turn off freesync and set od to extreme for the lowest latency? Can Vrb affect the delay (I can keep the 390+ fps stable, so it's more of a theoretical question, but I'm very interested)? Does anyone use it even at 390+ fps?
If I turn off freesync, does the monitor run in g-sync mode? To get the best latency so that I can keep 390+ fps stable, should I turn off gsync, vsync in nvidia control panel and just ingame limit the fps to the vrr range, maybe a little above it due to drops? All of this is due to the pursuit of balance between fluidity and the lowest possible latency with this monitor. The color space setting is srgb or, in your opinion, is there a better setting for valorant, if yes, please share your user settings with me, of course srgb would also be very interested in valorant specifically.
I really like the game during hdr, but unfortunately the same problem I experienced here also occurs during use, i.e. the screen starts flashing black. Has anyone found a solution to this?
First of all, I consider low latency to be important, which is why I chose this monitor.
I am currently using freesync with normal OD and no VRB at max hz. Unfortunately, my experience is that even though the monitor feels really fast, it often seems to lag while playing. A specific example is that after a peek, in a melee situation, I successfully take the first shot and continue the spray (I don't drag the mouse, I keep it fixed on the target, who doesn't change position), but in several such situations, it's as if I'm suddenly overwhelmed and the enemy's inputs take precedence granted, i.e. I die (all these are fractions of the moment, of course, and they don't kill me with a headshot). My internet is constantly stable at 19ms, I have no packet loss. Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so, know a solution? Currently gsync is enabled in nvidia, could this be causing this?
I apologize in advance for my poor English and if it's a bit long. I'm glad I found this forum because I see a lot of like-minded people here. That is why I would like to share my questions and thoughts with this community, to see if my post can help someone else in the future.
I would like to ask for your help regarding the optimal setting of xv25qf in Valorant. Should I turn off freesync and set od to extreme for the lowest latency? Can Vrb affect the delay (I can keep the 390+ fps stable, so it's more of a theoretical question, but I'm very interested)? Does anyone use it even at 390+ fps?
If I turn off freesync, does the monitor run in g-sync mode? To get the best latency so that I can keep 390+ fps stable, should I turn off gsync, vsync in nvidia control panel and just ingame limit the fps to the vrr range, maybe a little above it due to drops? All of this is due to the pursuit of balance between fluidity and the lowest possible latency with this monitor. The color space setting is srgb or, in your opinion, is there a better setting for valorant, if yes, please share your user settings with me, of course srgb would also be very interested in valorant specifically.
I really like the game during hdr, but unfortunately the same problem I experienced here also occurs during use, i.e. the screen starts flashing black. Has anyone found a solution to this?
First of all, I consider low latency to be important, which is why I chose this monitor.
I am currently using freesync with normal OD and no VRB at max hz. Unfortunately, my experience is that even though the monitor feels really fast, it often seems to lag while playing. A specific example is that after a peek, in a melee situation, I successfully take the first shot and continue the spray (I don't drag the mouse, I keep it fixed on the target, who doesn't change position), but in several such situations, it's as if I'm suddenly overwhelmed and the enemy's inputs take precedence granted, i.e. I die (all these are fractions of the moment, of course, and they don't kill me with a headshot). My internet is constantly stable at 19ms, I have no packet loss. Has anyone experienced something similar, and if so, know a solution? Currently gsync is enabled in nvidia, could this be causing this?
- BTRY B 529th FA BN
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 13:28
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
.
Last edited by BTRY B 529th FA BN on 07 Aug 2025, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
-
attila
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 18 Nov 2022, 05:02
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
i use nvidia. amd users may find this useful, thanks!BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote: ↑18 Nov 2022, 09:52If you have an AMD card and a freesync monitor that you're not using Freesync it's best to also disable AMD External Events Utility in Services. A few drivers back I noticed it was causing a weird stutter; but this also disables game metrics, i think?
a few posts earlier, Discorz, Kamecs and RealNc wrote about setting the low delay, but it is not entirely clear to me what the situation is and what to do when the fps can massively exceed the monitor's hz value. The monitor is also freesync and gsync compatible.
I saw you also use the monitor for fps games, what preferred settings do you prefer.
-
lizardpeter
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 14:41
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
Yes, absolutely disable FreeSync and VRB for the lowest possible latency. I use it at 390 Hz. I'm not sure what you mean by "390+ FPS."
Disable FreeSync/GSYNC in the monitor's own menus and also in NVIDIA control panel. Disable VRB in the monitor's menu. Do not limit FPS to VRR range if you want the lowest latency (unless you are not using NVIDIA Reflex and are GPU bottlenecked, but that's a whole other story).
Disable HDR for the lowest latency.
i9 13900K | RTX 5090 | 64 GB | ASUS 540 Hz OLED
OP1 8K V2 | Field75 HE
OP1 8K V2 | Field75 HE
-
attila
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 18 Nov 2022, 05:02
Re: Acer 390Hz monitor - XV252QF
Thanks for your help. I'm very glad that you also responded because I saw that you are also a bit of a reaction time maniac.lizardpeter wrote: ↑18 Nov 2022, 12:23Yes, absolutely disable FreeSync and VRB for the lowest possible latency. I use it at 390 Hz. I'm not sure what you mean by "390+ FPS."
Disable FreeSync/GSYNC in the monitor's own menus and also in NVIDIA control panel. Disable VRB in the monitor's menu. Do not limit FPS to VRR range if you want the lowest latency (unless you are not using NVIDIA Reflex and are GPU bottlenecked, but that's a whole other story).
Disable HDR for the lowest latency.
By 390+ I mean that with such a high frame rate and frequency, many people do not see the point of VRB. Am I right that you are still using extrem overdrive? do you also use super sharpness?
Would you also like to know if you are using the contrast trick shown on the forum on this ips?
I'm using reflex, should I limit it in this case? In valorant, I noticed that if the fps is not limited, it indicates a network error.
thanks in advance!
